Sunday, September 21, 2008

CSC

So we get word that the 25 soldiers that were flying with the Chinook
that went down a couple of days ago are flying in tonight at around
2330 and that the unit chaplain would like to speak with us and then
have us present when the helicopters land. I found SPC Antonich, my
teammate and we readied ourselves for the long night ahead. Come to
find out, there were 4 CH-47s flying from Kuwait to Balad when one
crashed near Basra and the other three were diverted to Talil. The 25
soldiers had been stuck in Talil since the crash and were now arriving
in Balad, their original destination and the place where the remainder
of their unit is. We drove over to the airstrip and met with the
chaplain at around 2300 and at that point we were informed that the
helicopters were not due to land until 0050 or almost 1:00AM in
civilian time. The chaplain was a nice man from Texas who is on his
first deployment as are most of the task force. The unit is an
aviation taskforce made up from National Guard units from Texas and
Oklahoma and are just arriving in country to take over here for the
12th CAB (Combat Aviation Brigade). While here they will be flying
the medivac missions as well as the regular transport flights in and
around this AO. In addition to speaking with the chaplain, I also
spoke with the Battalion XO and their flight surgeon and I was able to
recommend that we only introduce ourselves tonight and that we
schedule a critical event debriefing for tomorrow. The time finally
came and we were to be taken directly onto the airstrip where we would
meet with the aviation soldiers immediately on their arrival. Once
out on the concrete we could hear the loud thumps of the rotors on the
4 incoming CH-47's and then almost out of nowhere they appeared in the
night sky right over our heads. Once landed, the rear doors opened
and the soldiers began getting out. As the understandably shocked
soldiers began meeting up with the other of their unit members there
were a lot of hugs and handshakes. I couldn't help but think that
there were 7 people from this very group that had left Kuwait together
but would not by coming out of any of the aircraft. It was a sad
reunion to be sure but for the most part, they looked like they were
holding up as best as can be expected. I spoke with the Battalion
Commander as well as some of the soldiers and I introduced my self and
my team and told them that I would see them all the later that day
once they got some sleep. By the time SPC Antonich and I arrived back
at our little CHU's it was 0330 and we were anticipating an
emotionally draining day ahead of us.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I know it has been a hard weekend and I cannot imagine how difficult the memorial service was for all of you to attend. I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine what you've had to deal with. I know, though, that those soldiers will be well cared for by you. You always do your best and that's all anyone can ask for. I know it sounds cliche, but I'm so sorry for all you're going through. I'm grateful for your service and am very proud of you, Rhett. The "L" Team misses you and we hope things get better. Take good care.