Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July

Here it is at the end of July and I hope this place doesn't get any hotter.  I really think I forgot what it feels like to have 120 + degree heat day after day for the entire summer.  Add in some blowing dust..OK, a lot of blowing dust, some random explosions, the constant sound of aircraft both large and small taking off and landing and then you pretty much have the experience of Balad Iraq.  Since I last posted I was supposed to take my little team to visit two of the outlying locations but both trips fell through.  First, we were scheduled to go to Ramadi but the Marines could only get us as close as a place called TQ, which is somewhere around 40 miles west of Falujah.  Not wanting to get stuck somewhere in Anbar province without a way back, I decided to not chance it.  Next, we were scheduled to go to Warhorse, where my good friend MAJ Shea is right now but will be returning to the States soon as his application to resign his commission was finally accepted following many email and phone calls to his Congressman, who just happens to be the ranking member on the House Armed Services Committee.  Anyway, he has had some bad luck with the Army as well as in his personal life due to his three deployments since 2002 and I'm happy it looks like he will finally win this one.  He initially applied to resign his commission over 20 months ago and the Army have been dragging their feet with him...not giving him an answer.  I guess the Army needs mental health professionals.  I wonder why!  Right now, the Commander and Det Sergeant are gone to a conference in Baghdad, which leaves me in charge of the unit.   So far the only thing that has gone wrong is out AC seems to be out.  Not too much excitement around this place but every week when I attend the Battle Update Brief over at Battalion, I am reminded that people are still dying here just like they were when I was here last time.  Today, I finally heard some "in coming" mortars and it reminded me of the "good old days".  I don't think anyone was hurt.  It's my new goal to make more posts to this blog; so I'll try to do better.  I still cannot log on to look at it but I did figure out how the comments posted can be sent to me via email.  Thanks to everyone who emails, comments, and sends me stuff (Liz, Mom, Sandi)    

2 comments:

cpcox99 said...

We think of you often and hope the weather cools down a bit soon for you. I remember 120 degree weather in Brazil and it is MISERABLE. And I wasn't wearing fatigues. Hang in there! Anyway, we watched sweet Jacob today and he looks so much like you. I'm so glad Lizzie married you. You guys are great together. I hope Maj. Shea can find some happiness once he gets home. Love you lots! Keep your posts coming. :)

Amber said...

Hello Larsen's,
This is your long lost cousins The Lashmett's up in Oregon. Amber found you blog last night, and I have been reading it this morning. Thanks for your service. How do I go about getting your adress? The kids and I would love to put together a package for you. What type of DVD do you watch? Anything that you need specifically? Hope that all is well.
Scott