I just returned from a two day visit to a little FOB called FOB Grizzly or what we call "Ashraf" named after the closest Iraqi village. The reason I went out there is that all the clinical work being done there by our prevention team is being conducted under my LCSW license so I thought I'd better check out the operation. Wednesday morning I went to the helicopter terminal and was told that "we've had incident" this morning that the flights might be delayed. Soon my name was called and we boarded the Blackhawk and took off. As soon as we were airborne, I saw the incident that they were referring to. One of the F-16 fighters had gone off track and was sitting out in the dirt between two of the runways. Emergency vehicles were present but the fighter jet did not look damaged. It looked kind of funny just sitting there in the weeds and dirt with its canopy open. Not sure what happened, maybe the pilot took decided to take a turn when he should have gone straight. Anyway, we made it to Ashraf, which is east of Balad and only a handful of miles from the Iranian border. I met CPT Volpe, an occupational therapist who we have been sending out there but due to his license, he needs supervision. Not much was going on and out there and I remember everything being quiet. No jets or helicopters constantly flying overhead. We saw one or two patients and the doctor in the TMC out there seemed to enjoy having us. We did find someone who was not doing well and for some reason was on Trazadone and Seroquel as well as a few others. We decided to take him back with us and enter him into our fitness program where the psychiatrists can check him out. I flew back last night and arrived at about 2100. All in all it was a very quiet and somewhat boring two days.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment