Friday, January 30, 2009

BOOMTOWN

LSA Anaconda used to be known as "Mortar rita vile" but has been relatively quiet until last night.  At 2015 SSG Kolar and I were watching the third episode of "Band of Brothers" and just as the fighting broke out between the Screaming Eagles and the Nazi's in Carentan we had our own action.  We felt several explosions with one being very close.  I hit the ground, probably a left over hyper vigilant behavior from my last deployment, which must still be alive and well somewhere inside me.  SSG Kolar and I then had to go find everyone in the detachment on this base to ensure that no-one was hurt.  Luckily all our guys were OK.  The base was apparently hit by five 107 mm rockets that originated from inside a haystack in a farmer's field with some type of timing detonating device.  The 25th ID were routed to the point of origin and 2 Air Force F-16's provided close air support.  The F-16s dropped two 500 pound bombs on the point of origin and then a ground element from the 25th ID investigated the site finding more un-fired rockets.   Only one person was injured but it was a very close call.   Hopefully we won't have any more events like that as I would much rather be complaining of boredom.   It was a small taste of what my last deployment was like nearly every night.      

2 comments:

Liz said...

Glad you are safe. Hate to hear about rockets

Anonymous said...

Hoping YOU will be home soon!