After two days visiting the Taji team we readied ourselves for the trip back to Balad, which was supposed to be leaving at 1600 and making a stop at some place called the Phoenix Pad somewhere in Baghdad's Green Zone and eventually landing at Joint Base Balad after 45 minutes of flying. The helicopters came right on time and we took off doors open headed into Baghdad. Most of the trips I have made into Baghdad have been at night or at least at an altitude higher than we were this time. I don't know why but it seems like the pilots were trying to impress someone. It may have been the three Airforce NCOs that were on our bird. The two Blackhawks took turns one flying higher than the other and the lower one was really low. As we approached downtown Baghdad we literally had to weave in between some of the taller buildings. I remember climbing several times to clear wires of some sort. The sky was amazingly clear and it wasn't as cold as one might expect for a January afternoon. After landing at the Phoenix Pad, we took off again and flew to Balad after a fuel stop, which kind of suck as everyone has to get off while it fuels up. By now, I must have logged over 100 Blackhawk flights combining both tours but it really never stops impressing me and it seems like every one is the best one. This one was truly right up there. I have to go onto another computer to attach the photos so they'll be added shortly.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those were some very cool pics. I can see why every trip on a Blackhawk must be the best. We hope you're doing well. Love you lots!
Post a Comment