Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Boring Balad

Just sitting here counting down the days before I get to go home and I am happy to report that I am at 46 right now.  Not much is going on out here as our replacements have not arrived so we are not exactly into the whole right seat left seat stuff.  We have sent our movement team to Kuwait to begin working on some of the logistical issues of re-deployment.  I know that we will eventually end up at Ft Carson in Colorado Springs for a few days before we are completely released.  I'm not reporting those dates as they are subject to change and I need some time to be with my wife and son before seeing anyone else.  One good piece of news is that the Army has some type of multiple deployment rule that allows us to accrue paid leave at a higher rate and commensurate with the number of days you have been deployed in the last six years, which is over 800 days for me.  I have actually spent more days on active duty mobilized for Operation Iraqi Freedom than I spent on my LDS mission.  It hurts a little to hear about all the changes in Jacob that I don't get to see or to hear about whole seasons and events that I miss, most for the second time.  Most of all, this place gets incredibly old and boring.  Some days SSG Kolar and I just end up going to bed at around 2000 (8 PM) simply out of lack motivation or nothing else to do.  We have long ago exhausted all our new dvds or other sources of entertainment.  We watched Shawshank Redemption on Sunday and the comparison to this and prison life was obvious.  Alright, enough of me feeling sorry for myself.  Maybe I should plan another trip down to Ar Ramadi just for the helicopter ride.  If I time it right I might get to travel on a Marine Osprey, which would be cool.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You GOTTA fly the Osprey!!!