Saturday, October 11, 2008

30 year setback for PTSD in the military

Wow! One potential First Lady sets military mental health progress
back at least 30 years.
below is the web address and an excerpt from an interview between
Marie Claire magazine and Cindy McCain. When questioned about her
husband's potential PTSD symptoms, rather than take the opportunity to
educate an arguably apathetic populace, Mrs McCain responds with:

http://www.marieclaire.com/world/news/cindy-mccain-interview-election?click=main_sr
MC: But no cold sweats in the middle of the night?
CM: Oh, no, no, no, no, no. My husband, he'd be the first one to tell
you that he was trained to do what he was doing. The guys who had the
trouble were the 18-year-olds who were drafted. He was trained, he
went to the Naval Academy, he was a trained United States naval
officer, and so he knew what he was doing.

So, I guess that PTSD only affects those who are 18 and drafted into
military service or at least not graduates of the U.S. Naval Academy
at Annapolis. Gee I'm no expert but...well I have done two tours in
Iraq as a mental health provider credentialed by the army...maybe I am
an expert...her comments certainly don't match what I have
experienced. Anyone looking for more than just cute pictures of Jacob
could visit the following non partisan websites for information on
issued that affect us combat veterans:

http://www.iava.org/
http://www.votevets.org/

No comments: