Thursday, May 29, 2008
so many soldiers so little time
We have been pretty busy lately. It seems like we have had an influx of soldiers coming in for a variety of reasons. I have quite a few sexual assault victims (yes, female U.S. soldiers being assaulted by male U.S. soldiers) and it is un-imaginably difficult for them as these are the people they were supposed to be able to trust. In addition, we have seen quite a few members of the mortuary affairs unit as well as the members of the unit clear teams, who's job it is to clean up the body parts from the vehicles of their unit members who are killed by IEDs. Most of these soldiers have no special training they are just identified for this job as an "additional duty" and attend a short training session. I can't imagine being the one who has to collect the personal effects of my own friends as well as clean up inside the vehicles after these events take place. Still not much in the way of attacks on our base aside from some gun battles that we hear nightly as well as the occasional out-going artillery shells from my fellow 13-B's set up on our base. I plan to take my team out to one of the small FOBs some time in the near future to check on the soldiers out there and will no doubt report on my activities after-the-fact. Liz tells me that she almost has my bike ready to send out here, which I am so excited for as the cardio equipment here is not as good as in other places. I miss everyone from home and appreciate the email that I receive. I am still unable to view the comments on the blog on a regular basis but I can at least post to it via email.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dear Rhett: How you are able to see all that pain and not become involved is amazing to me. You must be a very special person to have taken on this job. I want you to know I love and admire you.Sandi
Rhett,
Just want you to know I love you and pray for you every day.
Love,
Mindy
Hey Rhett, this is Mandi, Liz's cousin. I came across your blog from Carrie's. Wow, I can't believe all that you guys go through...its very cool to read your day to day through the blog.
Do you mind if I add you to my blog-roll?
Post a Comment