Tuesday, May 20, 2008
A tough job
I met with a soldier today who is a 30-year-old staff sergeant crew chief on a medivac blackhawk. His initial complaint is that he and his wife are having trouble. Specifically, he tells me that his wife has always wanted breast enhancement surgery and that one of her co-workers offered to pay for this for her as some type of no interest loan. One can imagine how this soldier feels about the situation and what's worse, is that his wife doesn't seem to think that there would be anything wrong with her accepting the money. He tells me that he has come to realize that there is only one reason men go to "help" wives of deployed soldiers. He goes on to tell me a little about his job here in Iraq. This is his third deployment as a crew chief, which is kind of like a flying mechanic/medic. He tells me of many instances where his "bird" will be called out to pick up wounded American soldiers and how after performing first aid on these guys in the air, he finds out from the CSH (combat support hospital) that they did not survive. He also tells me a lot of horrible events involving Iraqi civilians that his helicopter has picked up. He denies most of the PTSD symptoms but I of course offered to document them for him should he have trouble in the future. I came to find out that this guy's section was stationed with me in Mosul in 2004 and he knows a few of his friends that I personally helped back then. I remember one guy from back in 2004 who had just found out that his wife was cheating on him and was understandably devastated by the news. After working with him for a few weeks he was doing much better and I remember going down to the flight line in Mosul and hanging out with his squad to see what their job was like. Fast forwarding to the present, the staff sergeant tells me that the guy from 2004 is here on this base and he invited me to their BBQ that they have every Friday night. I' think I'll go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's amazing how you always manage to help people. You have a way about you that you can reach so many. I'm proud of you for what you're doing. It's also neat to hear about the folks you helped a few years ago.
What tough issues so many of these soldiers are facing. I'm so glad you're married to Lizzie - because she misses you every minute of every day and you know she'll be faithful to you. How was the BBQ?
Hi Rhett & Liz! I'm not sure if you remember me, but I went to high school with both of you. My name is Valorie (Anderson) Christensen. I just stumbled onto your blog, I checked out Chad Cox's and then ended up on you guys.....long story. I hope you don't mind that I checked it out. Anyway, I thought I would say hello. My husband is career Army and is just finishing up a deployment. He is stationed at BIAP as a Blackhawk crewchief and Platoon Sgt. I chuckled when when I read your entry aboutthe guy you ran into from the medevac unit. Typical soldier/family. There is a good chance my husband knows him. They may be in the same battallion and Joe used to be in the medevac company before the deployment. I think there are only a couple of medevac units over there... right? Anyway, I thought I would send a shout out to a fellow military family going through similar times. Rhett, you stay safe and enjoy the AC when you get the opportunity. Liz, good luck holding the fort down....it's just as tough of a job. Thank you both for what you're doing. By the way, that baby is adorable!!!
Post a Comment