Saturday, May 17, 2008
Today in Taji
Well, working in the clinic here is not unlike my job back in Ephraim with a few obvious exceptions. First, everyone comes in with a loaded automatic weapon. Second, everyone wears the same clothes. Third, we all have a lot in common. Finally, the issues people deal with out here are different. I haven't noticed much change in what I'm seeing here relative to my first tour. I think I have seen 5 patients now mostly for home front stuff and some that are just tired of being here and want to go home. The first guy I saw is right at the end of his tour and just recently lost his father for which he went home on emergency leave and is now back in country and feels like a different person. He presents with initial insomnia and a depressive-type symptoms, which I feel are normal given his situation. One change this time around is that the old way of deferring diagnosis has changed and the Army now wants me to use them; so his is pretty simple, "Bereavement." I've seen him twice, got him some help with his sleep by way of one of the psychiatrists I work with and he seems a lot better. This situation hits a little too close to home for me but I don't have anyone I can refer him to. I saw a 27-year-old active duty female yesterday who has been here for 10 months and has five more months to go. She tells me that she became pregnant before her deployment and that her boyfriend at the time convinced her to terminate the pregnency, which she did, only to find out that he was cheating on her all a long. Her situation is complicated by the fact that she has always wanted children and feels like she missed her opportunity. She also has some trouble out here with one of her co-workers and the fact that she works nights and only gets two days off per month. I got a call yesterday from my Commander telling me that one of the Division Surgeons is requesting a combat stress team for an up-coming infantry mission where mass casualties are expected. Of course I won't say anything about the details other than I asked my young teammates if they wanted to go and they both told me yes. It's hard for me to ask these two to risk their lives like this knowing that they are both single parents of small children. I am amazed at their courage and commitment. More on this to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm amazed by your stories and thank you so much for posting them on here. Hopefully it will help more people to see what's going on over there.
Shannon
Post a Comment