Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Small indicators of the "Real Deal"
I have often thought about all the little things that I have noticed that make this experience "sink in". I remember from last time things like: seeing the sights of Kuwait City from the air, feeling the extreme heat, hearing my first explosion and knowing that it was intended for me or my friends. There is also the feeling of carrying 210 live rounds a long with your M-16 in the PX and dining facility. Seeing a "dustoff" Blackhawk (medivac) flying low and of course hearing small arms fire all are powerful indicators of being in a war zone. This time around, my first experience so far was being issued my nerve agent antidote and Valium auto injectors yesterday and I'm attaching a photo for all to see. My time at Ft Lewis is extremely short at this point and my next posting will likely be from Kuwait. Thank you to all for your support and help to me as well as to Liz. I never forget the people she tells me that make this easier for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rhett, this was the entry I was dreading hearing you'd made it to Iraq. You, Liz and Jacob are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm just glad you have this blog so we can see how you're doing. Please take good care. And remember, the "L" Team is behind you all the way!
Post a Comment